Sunday, December 19, 2010

Inspired by Belgian Travels

Last year we traveled to Belgium and I was so inspired by their design asthetics that, upon our return, I eagerly read everything I could about Belgian Design.  It seems to be catching on since all of Restoration Hardware's work over the last year seems to follow this approach.  I guess the secret is out but I still love how quietly refined it looks, without being too fussy or trying too hard to impress!  Beautiful rough hewn woods, natural linens, minimal color and a bit of sparkle - usually in the form of crystal chandeliers - really set this design apart from others.  Here are a few of my favorite images that show this beautiful approach to living...


 {Love this coffee table from Ballard Designs}

{Kay Douglass via House Beautiful}

And finally a shot from beautiful Brugges where we stayed in Belgium.  We rented this
gorgeous apartment which had great design itself and wonderful hosts, not to mention the gorgeous architecture, canals and cobblestone streets in this gem of a town.  We loved our time there - including the chocolate, of course.  :)

Photography by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler

What do you think?  Is Belgian Design too muted for you or do you love its refined, understated look?  I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

3 comments:

Inge said...

Hi Barbara, I was just wandering around your blog and I found this post! Loving your post about Belgian design, because you don't read much about it. And I don't think Belgian design is too muted. It isn't very extravagant, but is rather a soothing and relaxing look. That is my opinion... :-)
Have a wonderful Sunday and take care!
Love, Inge x

Robert Richi said...

Nice topic; Thanks for showing us”Belgium design aesthetics”. It’s totally interesting and beautiful. All things are good attractive with well designed. I really like your post. Thanks for sharing such a nice topic with us. Keep share.

Kitchen remodeling & design

Sandhya Naidu said...

I also do interior designing and simple amazed with the post..thanks so much for sharing this with me.. Independent house for sale in Patancheru

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...