Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dreaming Of Slovenia...

We're going to take a little detour today from design to talk about another passion of mine:  travel!  The beautiful country of Slovenia is less than four hours from our doorstep, so three weeks from today we'll be jumping in the car and heading off on our next adventure!  Since Slovenia is not as well known to most people (including myself until a few months ago), I thought you might like to hear a little about it.  Here's a quick peek at what we hope to see while there:

 
After a beautifuly drive through Austria, we'll squeeze in a short hike here, part of the Slovenian Alps region.



Then we'll drive onto this lovely little lakeside town - pretty charming, right?


We'll be staying on a farm in the countryside that I hope will look something like this,
with horses like this:

Pinned Image
The beautiful Lippizaner horses are bred in Slovenia.
They look like they just stepped out of a fairy tale.  Speaking of fairy tales...
Grad Predjama Castle is nearby.  We'll definitely be checking it out!


Amazing caves are also nearby for exploring, which should be exciting for the little people in our family!
(the big kids, too...)

Pinned Image
Slovenia apparently has stunning wine regions and quite respectable wine.
I had no idea, but I definitely plan to report back on that one!
We'll take a day trip to Piran, which is apparently the cutest port town on their small coastline. 
Italy borders on one side and acoss the sea, so I'm thinking the food will be very good!

The Fall temperatures won't allow for water sports, but isn't that water amazing??!!!


This is the beautiful capitol of Slovenia:  Ljubljana ("lyoob-lyAH-nah").
I am excited to see the charming architecture and hit their flea market as we work our way back northwest.

This will be our (stunning) picnic spot on the way home. 
It looks like Oregon, and that's a good thing.  :)

They pack a lot into a small country, don't you think?  I can't wait!!!
Sources can be found on my pinterest Wanderlust page.

12 comments:

Acquired Objects said...

Lucky you Barbara that country looks gorgeous and so much to do. I can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Anonymous said...

so fun to be traveling as much as you have, but take advantage of it while you're so close to all these wonderful places...and what a gorgeous place Slovenia must be...
happy travels...
best,
maureen

Splendid Willow said...

Good Morning Barbara,

A lot of loveliness packed into a small country - indeed!

My Mom is from Austria and I have many great childhood memories from that part of the world. I have been to Prague but never to Slovania. I am happy to come over and carry your bags! (:

Hugs to you,

Mon

P.S Your previous post (orange) is also a great read!

Mary Jane said...

Oh my gosh I want to go there!! Do post pictures of your trip upon your return.

The Vintique Object said...

Whoa. I am terribly, terribly jealous. Every single picture looks to be out of a fairytale. Have a wonderful time!
Camille

LaPouyette said...

Very lovely country side.

Enjoy your holidays! Looking forward to hear and see more about your trip.

herzlichen Gruss aus dem Périgord,
karin

Linda in AZ * said...

*** We've been there, and this brought back many lovely memories of an oh-so-fun trip in a beauuuutiful place..

I (make that "we"!) was/were shocked at how good the wines we tried truly WERE, and I purchased some magnficent crystal bar glasses that I still smile about when I see/use them...

Thanks for the simply beautiful pics! Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Linda in AZ *
bellesmom1234@comcast.net

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Would love to hide in your suitcase some time. all of your travels sound so glorious. XO, Mona

mary said...

Have a fantastic trip--can't wait for the updates. Mary

Haus and Home said...

Take lots of good pictures! Ljubljana reminds me a little bit of Amsterdam but prettier!

Travel-PB said...

I see the travel bug is kicking in again... ;)

If you will be visiting Lake Bled, I suggest you also check out the nearby lake Bohinj - less touristy but just as beautiful.

I am sure you will have a great time in Slovenia. If you run out of ideas, visit the official site of the Slovenian tourist board. If at any point you need a local advice, feel free to contact me.

Nicky said...

What a gorgeous place! I'm sure that will not be a boring trip. Have fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...