Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Guest Post: Roses and Rust

Today for the Design In Five series, Sharon from Roses and Rust blog is sharing her beautiful ideas.  I have been enjoying Sharon's blog, and her friendship, so much since I discovered it a few months ago.  The quiet elegance in her decor choices, inspired by her beautiful surroundings in South Africa, are always pleasing to the eye.  South Africa is also one of the most beautiful (and interesting) places I have ever visited, so I love hearing/seeing what is going on in that part of the world. I'm so happy to be able to share her perspective with you today!

*****************************************************************************

Thank-you Barbara for asking me to participate in your "Design in Five" series. It is such a fun idea although I have to admit it was a lot more taxing than I thought it was going to be! Trying to limit myself to five items to add to a room was no easy task.  I eventually resorted to using the the first five letters of the alphabet and this is what I came up with....



 stands for Armoire.  I toyed with art or antique, but eventually settled on armoire. I think the first thing I would add to a room would be some sort of focal point and an armoire fits this bill perfectly. As it is usually quite a large scale piece of furniture, and often quite decorative, it immediately draws the eye. It is also very practical as it can house the TV, act as a drinks cabinet, a bookcase or a display cabinet for decorative items.

Via Design Chic


Via Pinterest


Via Cote de Texas


Via Desde My Ventana




stands for Baskets and Books. (I couldn't choose between them which so I'm going with both). I love the casual feel that baskets add to a living room and they can be used for a myriad of different purposes. Holding firewood, magazines, spare cushions or blankets, sea shells, pine cones or even left empty. Lidded baskets can be used as side tables or coffee tables. Baskets can be placed underneath tables or on top of tables. They can be used as trays and holdalls. They are totally indispensable to me - I think I have them in every single room in my house. Books are also a necessity for me in most rooms. They can be purely decorative, they can add a splash of colour to a neutral interior, they can work as props for decorative items and they can provide reading entertainment for family and friends. They also give one some insight into the personalities and interests of the family that live in the home.


Via Belgian Pearls


Via Eclectic Revisited




All via Pinterest

Via Tumblr


Via Remodelista


Via Beatrice Banks



is for Candlelight. There is nothing quite like the glow of candlelight. It creates a wonderful atmosphere in a room. It also creates magical pools of light and shadow. It creates beautiful effects on reflective surfaces and the scented versions give off wonderful perfumes.  Candlelight glosses over all imperfections and can make the most ordinary room seem beautiful.  Whether the candles are placed in an ornate and precious antique candelabra,  a tarnished junk-shop find or a simple tea light in a glass jar, they are definitely a must-have item for me.

Via An Angel at my Table


Via Pinterest



Via Pinterest


Via Tumblr



stands for Decorative Item. These are the things that I love and like to look at. It may be a single item like a beautiful urn or statue or a collection of things that I have built up over the years. They often  have more sentimental  than intrinsic value.


Via Tumblr


Via Eclectic Revisited


Source unknown

Via Style For Living

Via Absolutely Beautiful Things


is for Easy Living. I'm cheating a bit here as this is not an item, as such, but it is the atmosphere that I like to aim for in my home. I think a beautiful interior has a lot more to do with soul and spirit than with furniture and objects.  Guests must feel they can relax and put their feet up, dogs are welcome to sleep on the sofa, kids can play with their toys on the coffee table. Newspapers and magazines can be visible and coasters aren't essential. No stiff formality for me, thank-you.


Via Casa Decorada

Via Pinterest



Via Garden and Home                                                                  Via Home Hues







 Via Zuhairah Home Interior Design
So there you have it, my "Design in Five" ideas.
Wishing you, Barbara, and all your readers a wonderful festive season!

 Sharon x

***************************************************************************************
You did a beautiful job Sharon!  Thanks so much.

I love the creative "ABC" approach!  And what a great reminder that spaces need to invite people in, not make them feel like everything is off limits.  The adorable lab reminded me of how my own pup adds so much life and love to any room she is in.  This is a great representation of the elegant style that Sharon features on her blog and why I love reading it so much, so I hope you enjoyed it too. 
Stop over to check out her blog today if you can...I think you'll love it.

I'd love to hear what your favorites from Sharon's picks were!


14 comments:

Acquired Objects said...

Wonderful post Sharon and I think you have a weekly series finishing off your ABC's. All beautiful images and love the puppy that fell asleep sitting up, how cute!

Thank you to Barbara for inviting such wonderful guests!

helen tilston said...

Hi Sharon

I loved all of your choices and my paticuliar favourite was the candles and then the puppy stole the show.

Thank you for such an uplifting post
Helen

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Great post Sharon! I LOVE your version of the ABC's!! Martina

The enchanted home said...

Nicely done Sharon....love the idea of books, armoires, easy living and bring on the candlelight, love soft flattering lighting anyday over bright overhead lighting. You picked 5 winners!!

Sandra van Doorn said...

Sharon! And F is for fantastic! i am particularly fond of your Armoire section because i am looking for one at the moment. i am so glad you made us discover this blog too,
thank you, xo sandra

Splendid Sass said...

Barbara-
I love your blog. So glad I found you. I am your newest follower.
Thank you for your kind comment on Tina's post yesterday.
Teresa
xoxo

Anonymous said...

am loving E for easy living!! what a fabulous pic!! so sweet..
yes, agree with all those ideas, especially books and baskets..
best,
maureen

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sharon, what a wonderful post. I already love and follow your blog.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Great job Sharon. Love the picture of the dog! How cute....

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Sharon has completely outdone herself on this post. Every image was better than the next. Such a reflection of her awesome taste. Fabulous post. I'll have to pop over and tell her. XO, Mona

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

Thank-you again Barbara, for this guest post opportunity and to all the readers for their very flattering comments. I hope you are all having a wonderful week and getting into the Christmas spirit. I know I am! x Sharon

La Brocanteuse said...

Well done Sharon, you have said and shared it so well, have a lovely week
Colette-X

Veronica said...

This is gorgeous Sharon. I would also have started with an armoire...so elegant and always the star attraction in any room. Loved the dog. Lovely blog Barbara. Wishing you all a very festive season from Cape Town!

Veronica
Tassels Twigs and Tastebuds

hollandcmnsjudith said...

Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post.
review conclusion

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...