Sunday, August 7, 2011

Decorating with Nature

Hi Everyone,


I'm Carol from The Design Pages blog and I'm so happy to be here today.  I hope Barbara is having a fantastic vacation and I'm more than a little envious of her travels and look forward to reading a blog post about it next week.

Living in the Canadian west coast means that I'm surrounded by nature.  The views from every room in our house are of trees, ocean and mountains.  It's hard not to be inspired to decorate using elements of nature.

One of my very favourite tricks is to use branches.  It's simple and easy and it can have a huge impact on an empty table or sideboard.
Domino

Lavender & Lillies

Florals have gained quite a bit of popularity in fabrics and wallpapers recently but what about having a mural painted to bring the outdoors in.

Shells are a really easy way to bring the feeling of nature into your home.  

West Elm has these beautiful tree stump side tables which would add instant rustic chic to a room.  If you're a little more adventurous you could turn this into a weekend diy project.

Feathers are fun in fashion and home decor.  If you need a little softness in a room you can get yourself one of these fabulous feather light fixtures.  
Apartment Therapy

Keep your eyes open next time you go for a walk and maybe you'll come back with some new items to freshen up your decor and bring home the nature.

Thanks so much for having me Barbara!  You can find me here if you want to stop by and say hi.  I'd love to have you.

Carol





15 comments:

Kelly @ View along the way said...

I LOVE the feather lights! But I can just IMAGINE my husband's face if I brought one of those home. :)

Anonymous said...

nature IS such an inspiration for many designer and artist...love the floral designs making their way onto textiles, walls and furniture as well as loving shells as accent pieces...gorgeous images..
best,
maureen

Stacy CUrran said...

This is a beautiful posts, I'm so glad Barbara had you guest post! Heading to your blog now.....
Stacy

Shannon said...

Love that first picture! It makes me want to cut down a tree!

Shannon said...

(not really)

;)

Holly Gruszka said...

Carol's blog is great and now I've found another one. Great post about finding items for decor from nature - a nice splash of texture to any space.

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

I like natural accents, as well. especially branches - something so magical about flowering branches in the spring...

InteriorGroupie said...

Love your take on this Carol!

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

Fabulous post Carol! I am a sucker for those beautiful tree stump tables! I also love decorating with shells, they are always a quick reminder of home for me!

Haus and Home said...

I love using elements of nature in my house as well! Great post showing flowers, shells and twigs! When I was in St Thomas last month I found this small handmade spider made out of twigs and wood (it looks real which is a little scary), so that is my newest nature element I added to my house.

The Vintique Object said...

Oh you are right. A little walk is all it takes...

Pretty.

Happy vacation, Barbara!

Camille

Karen said...

Love the idea of a mural but simple ideas for adding natural elements are such a nice addition too.

The enchanted home said...

Love branches too! They add height, drama and bring a touch of nature into a room. Love it!

Callie Grayson said...

I am such a collector! I have silver cups full of feathers I find on my walks in the woods, rocks from my holidays and shells when I go to the beach.

great collection of photos!
xx
callie

Barbara@HausDesign said...

What a beautiful post Carol! I love to go for walks with my kids each season and see what we can find to brighten up the house a bit...shells and twigs like you show here are some of our favorites from those walks or trips to the beach, vacations, etc.! Thanks so much for guest posting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...