Sunday, August 14, 2011

More Copenhagen: Hans Christian Andersen Cafe

Hans Christian Andersen, the famous Danish writer who wrote classics like The Ugly Duckling and The Little Mermaid, grew up in Copenhagen.  My daughter and I read the story of Hans Christian Andersen's life together last year.  It is one of rags to riches, but better:  his was one that was rich in making children's lives more enjoyable.  So, when I found out we were going to Copenhagen, I knew I had to seek out his childhood home.  When I found it, I happily didn't find an over-run touristy spot; instead, I discovered a charming, blog-worthy little cafe! 

Here are a few shots to give you an idea of what it's like.  The inside was also adorable but unfortunately the lighting and tight angles in the little cellar cafe didn't accommodate my photography!

Photography by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler
Great signage that was weathered by the sea air... 

Photography by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler
A great hat that he was well known for during his lifetime. 

Photography by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler
The cafe is a few steps down from the street level, but on the back end and up a few steps was this charming little courtyard. 

Photography by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler
I was loving this statue. 

Photography by Barbara Jordan Dettweiler
Even the tables had great design!

Coming up tomorrow...
The last installment from our trip:  Beautiful Copenhagen Architecture!

5 comments:

The enchanted home said...

The ugly duckling one of my all time favorites as a kid!! Loved this inside view into this author extraordinare's life! Thanks Barbara...

Anonymous said...

oh so cool that you got to see Hans Christian Andersen's childhood home..
and love how you phrased that he enriched the lives of so many children and adults as well...
beautiful little cafe..
best,
maureen

quintessence said...

How totally charming. I was always a big Hans Christian Andersen fan - have you been to the LIttle Mermaid statue in the harbor yet? And there is also a statue of him next to City Hall.

under spanish moss said...

Such a charming place. Looks like you guys had a great visit there.
Hope your having a beautiful weekend!

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

Your photos make me want to go travelling again! I would love to visit this quaint little cafe! I am just smitten with that hat hanging on the wall!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...