Thursday, August 4, 2011

Guest Post - The Turbine Hotel, South Africa

View of Knysna, South Africa (image found here)

Hi all, it's Meghan from Wishful Thinking! I am so excited to be guest posting for Barbara whilst she is globe trotting with her family. Since travelling and beautiful interiors seems to inspire us both, I thought I would blog about a fabulous boutique hotel I found in my little corner of South Africa (the Garden Route).

The Turbine Hotel in Knysna is located on the Thesen Island development - which consists of 19 man-made islands linked by 21 arched bridges and surrounded by 25ha of tidal waterways. Combined with this is some beautiful upmarket houses, boutiques and gourmet restaurants and cafes… Sound magical? That's because it is! The hotel was actually built in a wood-fired turbine power station that powered the whole of Knysna only 50 years ago! The original machinery has been retained and incorporated into the designs. I really love the way they have managed to make such an industrial looking building feel warm, cheerful and inviting.


Crazy over these pillow covers!






Imagine taking a bath overlooking the lagoon!













All images via The Turbine Hotel

10 comments:

Bird Bug Pug said...

really beautiful, i love how they incorporated the machinery into their design

i purchased a euro pillow sham like those from west elm that reminded me of the forest i saw on my honeymoon

love this! you'll have to go there someday :)

classiq said...

Its design is so unique. I love boutique hotels, they always have something different to offer. It's quite a lovely experience spending your vacation in such a place.
Ada

The enchanted home said...

What a neat hotel? Its so eclectic and there is something interesting and beautiful to see at every turn. Love finding out about interesting boutique type hotels like this one. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

just amazingly beautiful..what a fabulous place to visit..and yes, travel and decor seem to be quite inspiring..
best,
maureen

S said...

Amaze-balls! I would love to go to South Africa one day!

homestilo said...

I absolutely love SA (best holiday I've ever been on). These images just make me want to hop a flight.

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

What a lovely place! It's so unique. I've always wanted to visit SA. One day for sure :)

A room with a view said...

SA is a place-to-visit on my list..fabulous hotel with a mix of different elements and color..so much to look at and so fun and inviting!

designchic said...

This looks like my size of hotel. Love a boutique hotel and SA looks wonderful!!

Barbara@HausDesign said...

Wow, you really found a gem of a hotel Meghan! I love the settings on the water and what amazing interiors full of beautiful surprises! Thanks for doing such a fantastic job on the post!!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...